Geldingadalir Volcano Hiking tour
We offer volcano tours to the active volcano in Geldingadalir. The new eruption that started on August 3rd, 2022, is in Merardalir, right next to the previous eruption in 2021.
We run our volcano tours all year, but we can’t promise how long the volcano will erupt or the conditions on your chosen day. If the site is closed by the authorities due to unsafe conditions, we’ll not enter the area. On this day tour, we take you to the designated parking locations and then hike to the crater and lava flow.
For the volcano, we will provide all safety gear, such as gas masks and gas sensors, and in winter, we’ll provide crampons. You need to be wearing good hiking shoes and warm clothes, bring a headlight and water and pack lunch or snacks. You also need to be comfortable walking on uneven and slippery surfaces and up steep hills on the way to the volcano.
The drive to the volcano takes about 45 minutes from a hotel in central Reykjavik. From the parking lot is about a 20 min easy hike to the edge of the lave field from the previous eruption. From there is about a two-hour medium/challenging hike to the crates. Different routes are available depending on the weather and conditions of the day. The distance to the new eruption site and back is about 18 km or 11 miles but can be longer based on available routes.
Before or after we visit the volcano, we might visit Krisuvik geothermal area and lake Kleifarvatn, Krisuvikurbjarg, Selatanga, or other locations based on weather and conditions on the day.
We will provide you with a complete packing list, and recommended clothing and equipment list. Safety briefing and professional guides.
- We also support press photographers and photography/news projects, with permits to drive/fly in close to the volcano. For commercial projects please shoot us an email at email@example.com
Crater and Lava flow – One of the most memorable experiences in Iceland
Landscape – Mountains and moss fields
Experienced local guide – All our guides have years of experience leading tours
Duration – 8-10 hours
Activity level – Medium to Challanging hike to see the crate
- Deposit payment $500 USD upon booking
Total price: $500 USD per person (min 3 pax) or total 1.500 USD for the tour. For larger groups, please ask for our quote.SIGN UP
- Includes a professional guide with safety equipment. Transportation on a 4x4 vehicle.
- For larger groups and private tours we have variety of super jeeps and trucks, from 4 pax and up to 16 pax Super Trucks – please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for prices
- Hotel pick-up & drop-off
- Safety equipment
- Helicopter and/or cessna aerial photography and trips upon request, for extra $ just ask
What's not included
- International Flights
- Cancellation Insurance
- Meals and drinks